The business described within this website was started in 1850 by the Martin family, German immigrants who became undertakers as part of a furniture business. This was common in those times due to the necessity of making coffins.
In 1915, Charles Mansfield joined the business to do the embalming and undertaking responsibilities. Mr. Mansfield purchased this part of the business in 1919, and changed the name to Mansfield Funeral Home. The funeral home was moved to its present day location in 1927.
In 1937, Willard "Bill" Mast joined the firm as an embalmer and funeral director. Mr. Mast purchased the business in 1952, thus becoming Mansfield-Mast Funeral Home. In 1957, Willard's son, Walter joined the business and in 1958, Willard's son-in-law, Marlin "Stub" Mock, joined the firm. Both were embalmers and funeral directors that became partners of the business in 1959. The business changed the name to Mast & Mock Funeral Home in 1965.
In 1968, Walter's wife, Nancy, joined the firm as a part-time funeral director. Craig Hoffman joined the business in 1970 as an embalmer and funeral director, and became a partner in 1974. In 1975, Hal Hanenkrath joined as an embalmer and funeral director. The name changed to Mast-Mock-Hoffman Funeral Home, Inc in 1977. Don Clevenger joined the firm as an embalmer and funeral director in 1987. Willard, Walter, and Nancy Mast retired in 1988, and Daniel Schaffer joined the firm as an embalmer and funeral director that same year.
In 1991, Hal Hanenkrath became a business partner, while Marlin Mock retired in 1992. Don Clevenger became a business partner in 1997, and Dan Schaffer became a business partner in 2002. Bryan Evinger joined the firm as an embalmer and funeral director in 2006, while Craig Hoffman retired that same year. The name changed to Mast-Mock-Hoffman-Hanenkrath-Clevenger-Schaffer Funeral Home in May, 2007. The funeral home suffered a loss on the evening of December 11, 2007, when Don Clevenger died unexpectedly. The name was subsequently changed to Hanenkrath-Clevenger-Schaffer in February, 2010.
Hal Hanenkrath retired May 1, 2012, and Dan Schaffer became sole owner of the business. Jeffery R. Strayer joined us as a funeral director and embalmer in January of 2014. James Wilson joined the staff as a funeral director and embalmer in August of 2016. The business continues to operate as normal under the ownership and direction of Dan Schaffer and the name was changed to Schaffer Funeral Home in March 2013, marking the first time since 1952 the business has operated under a single name.
Currently, we have four licensed funeral directors and embalmers, a full-time secretary, Melissa, and eight non-licensed part-time help, all to care and assist your family. We take pride in the fact we are still locally and independently owned and operated, even after more than 170 years. We serve all faiths in the Defiance, Ohio area, as well as many other area communities, with dignity and respect. We are willing to assisit you with traditional burial services or cremation services, to honor your loved one.